Krista F. Huybrechts, MS, PhD
Brigham & Women’s Hospital
Department of Medicine
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology & Pharmacoeconomics
1620 Tremont Street, Suite 3030,
Boston, MA 02120
Krista F. Huybrechts, M.S., Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and an epidemiologist in the Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital. She also holds an appointment as adjunct Assistant Professor of Epidemiology at Boston University School of Public Health. Dr. Huybrechts teaches Drug Epidemiology (EP748) at Boston University School of Public Health and guest lectures in several courses at Harvard Medical School and Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. She currently serves on the Board of the International Society of Pharmacoepidemiology and Therapeutic Risk Management.
Her research centers on the utilization, comparative safety and effectiveness of prescription medications in pregnant women and their offspring, and on studying the outcomes of medications for mental health disorders in vulnerable populations. She also has a special interest in research methodology and innovative research applications in relation to both these fields of study.
Dr. Huybrechts graduated magna cum laude with a Master of Science degree in Economics from the University of Antwerp, Belgium where she also worked as a researcher in health economics. Prior to completing a doctoral degree in epidemiology at Boston University School of Public Health, Dr. Huybrechts held several positions in pharmacoeconomics and outcomes research, both in Europe and the US. Her research projects focused primarily on psychiatry and neurology, and covered a broad spectrum of research designs, including clinical trials, naturalistic studies, retrospective data analyses, and decision-analytic simulation models.
Selected Publications | Current PubMed Search Results
Drug Safety in Pregnancy
- Huybrechts KF, Bateman BT, Desai RJ, Hernandez-Diaz S, Rough K, Mogun H, Kerzner LS, Davis JM, Stover M, Bartels D, Cottral J, Patorno E. Risk of neonatal drug withdrawal after intrauterine co-exposure to opioids and psychotropic medications: cohort study. BMJ. 2017 Aug 2;358:j3326. doi: 10.1136/bmj.j3326.
- Patorno E, Huybrechts KF, Bateman BT, Cohen JM, Desai RJ, Mogun H, Cohen LS, Hernandez-Diaz S. Lithium Use in Pregnancy and the Risk of Cardiac Malformations. NEJM 2017;376:2245-54.
- Bateman BT, Patorno E, Desai RJ, Seely EW, Mogun H, Maeda A, Fischer MA, Hernandez-Diaz S, Huybrechts KF. Late Pregnancy β Blocker Exposure and Risks of Neonatal Hypoglycemia and Bradycardia. Pediatrics. 2016 Sep;138(3). pii: e20160731.
- Huybrechts KF, Hernandez-Diaz S, Patorno E, Desai RJ, Mogun H, Dejene SZ, Cohen JM, Panchaud A, Cohen L, Bateman BT. Antipsychotic Medication Use in Pregnancy and Risk of Congenital Malformations. JAMA Psychiatry 2016;73(9):938-46.
- Palmsten K, Hernandez-Diaz S, Chambers CD, Mogun H, Lai S, Gilmer TP, Huybrechts KF. The Most Commonly Dispensed Prescription Medications Among Pregnant Women Enrolled in the U.S. Medicaid Program. Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Sep;126(3):465-73.
- Huybrechts KF, Bateman BT, Palmsten K, Desai RJ, Patorno E, Gopalakrishnan C, Levin R, Mogun H, Hernandez-Diaz S. Antidepressant use late in pregnancy and risk of persistent pulmonary hypertension of the newborn. JAMA. 2015 Jun 2;313(21):2142-51.
- Bateman BT; Hernandez-Diaz S, Fischer MA; Seely EW; Ecker JL; Franklin JM; Desai RJ; Allen-Coleman C; Mogun H; Avorn J; Huybrechts KF. Statins and congenital malformations: a cohort study. BMJ 2015 Mar 17;350:h1035.
- Bateman BT, Tsen LC, Liu J, Butwick AJ, Huybrechts KF. Patterns of second-line uterotonic use in a large sample of hospitalizations for childbirth in the United States: 2007-2011. Anesth Analg. 2014 Dec;119(6):1344-9.
- Huybrechts KF, Palmsten K, Avorn J, Cohen LS, Holmes LB, Franklin JM, Mogun H, Levin R, Kowal M, Setoguchi S, Hernandez-Diaz S. Antidepressant Use in Pregnancy and the Risk of Cardiac Defects. NEJM 2014; 19;370(25):2397-407.
- Desai RJ, Hernandez-Diaz S, Bateman BT, Huybrechts KF. Increase in prescription opioid use during pregnancy among Medicaid-enrolled women. Obstetrics & Gynecology 2014; 123(5):997-1002.
- Bateman BT, Hernandez-Diaz S, Rathmell JP, Seeger JD, Doherty M, Fischer MA, Huybrechts KF. Patterns of Opioid Utilization in Pregnancy in a Large Cohort of Commercial Insurance Beneficiaries in the United States. Anesthesiology 2014;120(5):1216-24.
- Huybrechts KF, Mikkelsen EM, Christensen T, Riis AH, Hatch EE, Wise LA, Sørensen HT, Rothman KJ. A successful implementation of e-epidemiology: the Danish pregnancy planning study ‘Snart-Gravid’. Eur J Epidemiol 2010;25(5):297-304.
- Rough K, Bateman BT, Patorno E, Desai RJ, Park Y, Hernandez-Diaz S, Huybrechts KF. Suppression of substance abuse claims in Medicaid data: Unintended effects on medical research using large healthcare utilization databases. JAMA 2016; 315(11):1164-6.
- Swanson SA, Hernandez-Diaz S, Palmsten K, Mogun H, Olfson M, Huybrechts KF. Methodological considerations in assessing the effectiveness of antidepressant medication continuation during pregnancy using administrative data. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2015 Sep;24(9):934-42.
- Palmsten K, Huybrechts KF, Kowal MK, Mogun H, Hernández-Díaz S. Validity of maternal and infant outcomes within nationwide Medicaid data. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2014;23(6):646-55. PMC4205050
- Palmsten K, Huybrechts KF, Mogun H, Kowal MK, Williams PL, Michels KB, Setoguchi S, Hernández-Díaz S. Harnessing the Medicaid Analytic eXtract (MAX) to Evaluate Medications in Pregnancy: Design Considerations. PLoS One. 2013 Jun 26;8(6):e67405.
- Desai R, Rothman K, Bateman BT, Hernandez-Diaz S, Huybrechts KF. Fine stratification by propensity score is preferable to matching or coarse stratification when exposure is infrequent. Epidemiology 2017 Mar;28(2):249-257.
- Patorno E, Glynn RJ, Levin R, Lee MP, Huybrechts KF. Benzodiazepines and risk of all cause mortality in adults: cohort study. BMJ. 2017 Jul 6;358:j2941. doi: 10.1136/bmj.j2941.
- Park Y, Franklin JM, Schneeweiss S, Levin R, Crystal S, Gerhard T, Huybrechts KF. Antipsychotics and Mortality: Adjusting for Mortality Risk Scores to Address Confounding by Terminal Illness. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2015 Mar;63(3):516-23.
- Huybrechts KF, Gerhard T, Franklin JM, Levin R, Crystal S, Schneeweiss S. Instrumental variable applications using nursing home prescribing preferences in comparative effectiveness research. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety 2014; 23(8):830-8.
- Huybrechts KF, Gerhard T, Crystal S, Olfson M, Avorn J, Levin R, Lucas JA, Schneeweiss S. Differential Risk of Death in Older Nursing Home Residents Prescribed Specific Antipsychotic Medications: Population-based Cohort Study. The British Medical Journal 2012;344:e977.
- Huybrechts KF, Schneeweiss S, Gerhard T, Olfson M, Avorn J, Levin R, Lucas JA, Crystal S. Comparative Safety of Antipsychotic Medications in Nursing Home Residents. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2012;60(3):420-9.
- Huybrechts KF, Rothman KJ, Brookhart MA, Silliman RA, Crystal S, Gerhard T, Schneeweiss S. Variation in antipsychotic treatment choice across US nursing homes. J Clin Psychopharm 2012;32(1):11-7.
- Huybrechts KF, Brookhart MA, Rothman KJ, Silliman RA, Gerhard T, Crystal S, Schneeweiss S. Comparison of different approaches to confounding adjustment in a study on the effect of antipsychotic medication on mortality in older nursing home patients. Am J Epidemiol. 2011;174(9):1089-99.
- Huybrechts KF, Rothman KJ, Silliman RA, Brookhart MA, Schneeweiss S. Risk of death and hospitalization for major medical events after initiation of psychotropic medications in older adults admitted to nursing homes. CMAJ 2011; 183(7):E411-9.