Joshua J. Gagne, PharmD, ScD
Brigham & Women’s Hospital
Department of Medicine
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology & Pharmacoeconomics
1620 Tremont Street, Suite 3030
Boston, MA 02120
Phone: 617-278-0930 | Fax: 617-232-8602
Joshua J. Gagne, PharmD, ScD, is an Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and a pharmacoepidemiologist in the Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital. His current research centers on methods for generating post-marketing comparative safety and effectiveness evidence for new medical products. He is an Investigator in the FDA-funded Mini-Sentinel program and recently led a project funded by the Patient-Centered Outcomes Research Institute to develop methodological standards for causal inference.
At the Harvard School of Public Health, Dr. Gagne co-teaches Topics in Medical Device Comparative Effectiveness Research (EPI521) together with Dr. Sonia Hernández-Diaz and Advanced Pharmacoepidemiology (EPI286) with Dr. Sebastian Schneeweiss. He is also a faculty member in Epidemiology 208 (EPI208), the flagship course in the Harvard School of Public Health’s Program in Clinical Effectiveness.
Dr. Gagne graduated magna cum laude with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree from the University of Rhode Island College of Pharmacy and received his Doctor of Science degree in Epidemiology from the Harvard School of Public Health.
Selected Publications | Current PubMed Search Results
- Bateman BT, Bykov K, Choudhry NK, Schneeweiss S, Gagne JJ, Polinski JM, Franklin JM, Doherty M, Fischer MA, Rassen JA. Type of stress ulcer prophylaxis and risk of nosocomial pneumonia in cardiac surgery patients: cohort study. British Medical Journal. 2013 Sep 19;347:f5416.
- Gagne JJ, Bykov K, Choudhry NK, Toomey TJ, Connolly JG, Avorn J. Effect of smoking on comparative efficacy of antiplatelet agents: systematic review, meta-analysis, and indirect comparison. British Medical Journal. 2013 Sep 17;347;f5307.
- Gagne JJ, Bykov K, Willke RJ, Kahler KH, Subedi P, Schneeweiss S. Treatment dynamics of newly marketed drugs and implications for comparative effectiveness research. Value in Health. 2013;16(6):1054-1062.
- Gagne JJ, Polinski JM, Kesselheim AS, Choudhry NK, Hutchins D, Matlin OS, Tong A, Shrank WH. Patterns and predictors of generic narrow therapeutic index drug use among older adults. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2013;61(9):1586-1591.
- Gagne JJ. You can observe a lot (about medical products) by watching (those who use them). Epidemiology. 2013;24(5):700-702.
- Toh S, Gagne JJ, Rassen JA, Fireman BH, Kulldorff M, Brown JS. Confounding adjustment in comparative effectiveness research conducted within distributed research networks. Medical Care. 2013;51(8 Suppl 3):S4-S10.
- Wang SV, Gagne JJ, Glynn RJ, Schneeweiss S. Case-crossover studies of therapeutics: design approaches to addressing time-varying prognosis in elderly populations. Epidemiology. 2013;24(3):375-378.
- Gagne JJ, Bykov K. On analyzing therapeutic ineffectiveness reports. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety. 2013;22(2):207-208.
- Schneeweiss S, Gagne JJ, Patrick AR, Choudhry NK, Avorn J. Comparative efficacy and safety of new oral anticoagulants in patients with atrial fibrillation. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes. 2012;5(4):480-486.
- Wang B, Gagne JJ, Choudhry NK. The epidemiology of drug recalls in the United States. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2012;172(14)1110-1111.
- Gagne JJ, Glynn RJ, Rassen JA, Walker AM, Daniel GW, Sridhar G, Schneeweiss S. Active safety monitoring of newly marketed medications in a distributed data network: application of a semi-automated monitoring system. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2012;92(1):80-86.
- Boylan L, Gagne J. Nonequivalence of equivalence methods. Annals of Neurology. 2012;71(2):284-285.
- Gagne JJ, Fireman B, Ryan PB, Maclure M, Gerhard T, Toh S, Rassen JA, Nelson JC, Schneeweiss S. Design considerations in an active medical product safety monitoring system. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety. 2012;21(S1):32-40.
- Gagne JJ, Rassen JA, Walker AM, Glynn RJ, Schneeweiss S. Active safety monitoring of new medical products using electronic healthcare data: selecting alerting rules. Epidemiology. 2012;23(2):238-246.
- Gagne JJ, Walker AM, Glynn RJ, Rassen JA, Schneeweiss S. An event-based approach for comparing the performance of methods for prospective medical product monitoring. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety. 2012;21(6):631-639.
- Goldberg NH, Schneeweiss S, Kowal MK, Gagne JJ. Availability of comparative efficacy data at the time of drug approval in the United States. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2011;305(17):1786-1789.
- Gagne JJ, Patrick AR, Mogun H, Solomon DH. Antidepressants and fracture risk in older adults: a comparative safety analysis. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2011:89(6):880-887.
- Gagne JJ, Choudhry NK. How many “me-too” drugs is too many? Journal of the American Medical Association. 2011;305(7):711-712.
- Gagne JJ, Glynn RJ, Avorn J, Levin R, Schneeweiss S. A combined comorbidity score predicted mortality in elderly patients better than existing scores. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. 2011:64(7):749-759.
- Gagne JJ, Avorn J, Shrank WH, Schneeweiss S. Refilling and switching of antiepileptic drugs and seizure-related events. Clinical Pharmacology & Therapeutics. 2010;88(3):347-353.
- Gagne JJ, Power MC. Anti-inflammatory drugs and risk of Parkinson disease: a meta-analysis. Neurology. 2010;74(12):995-1002.
- Gagne JJ, Patrick AR, Wang PS, Schneeweiss S. Health advisories and patterns of patient monitoring among new users of antidepressant medications. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology. 2009;29:594-594.
- Gagne JJ, Griesdale DEG, Schneeweiss S. Aprotinin and the risk of death and renal dysfunction in patients undergoing cardiac surgery: a meta-analysis of epidemiologic studies. Pharmacoepidemiology and Drug Safety. 2009;18(4):259-268.
- Gagne JJ, Maio V, Berghella V, Louis DZ, Gonnella JS. Prescription drug use during pregnancy: a population-based study in Regione Emilia-Romagna, Italy. European Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. 2008;64(11):1125-1132.
- Gagne JJ, Maio V, Rabinowitz C. Prevalence and predictors of potential drug-drug interactions in Regione Emilia-Romagna, Italy. Journal of Clinical Pharmacy and Therapeutics. 2008;33(2):141-151.