Elisabetta Patorno, MD, DrPH
Brigham & Women’s Hospital
Department of Medicine
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology & Pharmacoeconomics
1620 Tremont Street, Suite 3030,
Boston, MA 02120
Phone: 617-278-0930 | Fax: 617-232-8602
Elisabetta Patorno, MD, DrPH, is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and a faculty member in the Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital. Her work focuses on the assessment of safety and effectiveness of therapeutics through the application of epidemiologic and statistical methods for confounding adjustment in non-experimental studies. Her major area of interest is the pharmacoepidemiology of neurological and cardiovascular diseases.
Additional areas of interest include utilization, comparative safety and effectiveness of therapeutics and procedures in the perioperative setting and of selected psychotropic medications.
Dr. Patorno graduated magna cum laude with a Doctor of Medicine degree from the University of Modena and Reggio Emilia (Italy) and she completed her training in Preventive Medicine in Italy. She earned a master degree in Public Health and a doctorate in Pharmacoepidemiology at the Harvard School of Public Health.
Selected Publications | Current PubMed Search Results
- Patorno E, Patrick AR, Garry EM, Schneeweiss S, Gillet VG, Bartels DB, Masso-Gonzalez E, Seeger JD. Observational studies of the association between glucose-lowering medications and cardiovascular outcomes: addressing methodological limitations. In press Diabetologia 2014.
- Patorno E, Neuman MD, Schneeweiss S, Mogun H, Bateman BT. Comparative safety of anesthetic type for hip fracture surgery in adults: retrospective cohort study. BMJ. 2014;348:g4022.
- Patorno E, Glynn, RJ, Hernandez-Diaz S, Liu J, Schneeweiss S. Studies with many covariates and few outcomes selecting covariates and implementing propensity-score–based confounding adjustments. Epidemiology. 2014;25(2):268-78.
- Patorno E, Glynn, RJ, Hernandez-Diaz S, Avorn J, Wahl PM, Bohn RL, Mines D, Liu J, Schneeweiss S. Risk of ischemic coronary and cerebrovascular events in adult users of anticonvulsant medications in routine care settings. J Am Heart Assoc. 2013;2(4):e000208.
- Patorno E, Grotta A, Bellocco R, Schneeweiss S. Propensity Score Methodology for Confounding Control in Health Care Utilization Databases. EBPH. 2013;e8940-1- e8940-16.
- Patorno E, Bohn RL, Wahl PM, Avorn J, Patrick AR, Liu J, Schneeweiss S. Anticonvulsant Medications and the Risk of Suicide, Attempted Suicide, or Violent Death. JAMA. 2010;303(14):1401-1409.
- Polito A, Patorno E, Costello JM, Salvin JW, Emani SM, Rajagopal S, Laussen PC, Thiagarajan RR. Perioperative factors associated with prolonged mechanical ventilation after complex congenital heart surgery. Pediatr Crit Care Med. 2011;12(3):e122-6.