Brigham & Women’s Hospital
Department of Medicine
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology & Pharmacoeconomics
1620 Tremont Street, Suite 3030,
Boston, MA 02120
Phone: 617-278-0930 | Fax: 617-232-8602
Daniel Solomon, MD, MPH, is a Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and Chief of the Section of Clinical Sciences in Rheumatology and is co-appointed in the Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics. The focus of his research is health services research, quality of care, and pharmacoepidemiology as it pertains to rheumatic diseases and osteoporosis. Specific topics of interest include: indicators of quality prescribing, patterns of medication use for osteoporosis, quality improvement in osteoporosis care, and cardiovascular disease in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Dr. Solomon is Chair of the Quality of Care Committee of the American College of Rheumatology and was awarded the Henry Kunkel Young Investigator Award from the ACR in 2007. He attended Yale College, Yale School of Medicine, and Harvard School of Public Health. His residency and fellowship training in rheumatology were completed at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. As well, his clinical practice is at Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
Selected Publications | Current PubMed Search Results
- Bhattacharyya T, Levin R, Vrahas MS, Solomon DH. Nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs and nonunion of humeral shaft fractures. Arthritis Rheum 2005;53:364-367.
- Fischer MA, Cheng H, Schneeweiss S, Avown J, Solomon DH. Prior authorization policies for selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors in Medicaid: a policy review. Med Care 2006;44(7):658-63.
- Fischer MA, Schneeweiss S, Avorn J, Solomon DH. Medicaid prior-authorization programs and the use of cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors. N Engl J Med 2004;351:2187-2194.
- Sato M, Schneeweiss S, Scranton R, Katz JN, Weinblatt ME, Avorn J, Ting G, Shadick NA, Solomon DH. The validity of a rheumatoid arthritis medical records-based index of severity compared with DAS28. Arthritis Res Ther 2006;8(3):R57.
- Schneeweiss S, Glynn RJ, Avorn J, Solomon DH. A Medicare database review found that physician preferences increasingly outweighed patient characteristics as determinants of first-time prescriptions for COX-2 inhibitors. J Clin Epidemiol 2005;58:98-102.
- Schneeweiss S, Glynn RJ, Tsai EH, Avorn J, Solomon DH. Adjusting for unmeasured confounders in pharmacoepidemiologic claims data using external information: the example of COX2 inhibitors and myocardial infarction. Epidemiology 2005;16:17-24.
- Solomon DH, Avorn J, Katz JN, Finkelstein JS, Arnold M, Polinski J, Brookhart MA. Compliance with osteoporosis medications. Arch Intern Med2005;165:2414-2419.
- Solomon DH, Avorn J, Wang PS, Vaillant G, Cabral D, Mogun H, Sturmer T. Prescription opiod use among older adults with arthritis or low back pain. Arthritis Rheum 2006;55(1):35-41.
- Solomon DH, Avorn J, Warsi A, et al. Which patients with knee problems are likely to benefit from nonarthroplasty surgery? Development of a clinical prediction rule. Arch Intern Med 2004;164:509-513.
- Solomon DH, Avorn J, Sturmer T, Glynn RJ, Mogun H, Schneeweiss S. Cardiovascular outcomes in new users of coxibs and nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs: high-risk subgroups and time course of risk.Arthritis Rheum 2006;54(5):1378-89.
- Solomon DH, Bates DW, Schaffer JL, Horsky J, Burdick E, Katz JN. Referrals for musculoskeletal disorders: rates, predictors, and outcomes. J Rheumatol 2001;28:2090-2095.
- Solomon DH, Brookhart MA, Gandhi TK, et al. Adherence with osteoporosis practice guidelines: a multilevel analysis of patient, physician, and practice setting characteristics. Am J Med 2004;117:919-924.
- Solomon DH, Curhan GC, Rimm EB, Cannuscio CC, Karlson EW. Cardiovascular risk factors in women with and without rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2004;50:3444-3449.
- Solomon DH, Finkelstein JS, Katz JN, Mogun H, Avorn J. Underuse of osteoporosis medications in elderly patients with fractures. Am J Med 2003;15:398-400.
- Solomon DH, Glynn RJ, Levin R, Avorn J. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug use and acute myocardial infarction. Arch Intern Med 2002;162:1099-1104.
- Solomon DH, Glynn RJ, Levin R, Bohn R, Avorn J. The hidden costs of NSAIDs in older patients. J Rheumatol 2003;30:792-780.
- Solomon DH, Karlson EW, Curhan GC. Cardiovascular care and cancer screening in female nurses with and without rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 2004;51:429-432.
- Solomon DH, Karlson EW, Rimm EB, et al. Cardiovascular morbidity and mortality inwomen diagnosedwith rheumatoid arthritis. Circulation 2003;107:1303-1307.
- Solomon DH, Morris C, Cheng H, et al. Medication use patterns for osteoporosis: an assessment of guidelines, treatment rates, and quality improvement interventions. Mayo Clin Proc 2005;80:194-202.
- Solomon DH, Schaffer JL, Katz JN, et al. Can history and physical examination be used as markers of quality? An analysis of the initial visit note in musculoskeletal care. Med Care 2000 Apr;38(4):383-391.
- Solomon DH, Schneeweiss S, Glynn RJ, et al. Relationship between selective cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitors and acute myocardial infarction in older adults. Circulation 2004;109:2068-2073.
- Solomon DH, Schneeweiss S, Glynn RJ, Levin R, Avorn J. Determinants of selective COX-2 inhibitor prescribing: Are patient or physician characteristics more important?Am J Med2003;115(9):715-20.
- Solomon DH, Schneeweiss S, Levin R, Avorn J. Relationship between COX-2 specific inhibitors and hypertension. Hypertension 2004;44:140-145.
- Solomon DH, Simel DL, Bates DW, Katz JN, Schaffer JL. The rational clinical examination. Does this patient have a torn meniscus or ligament of the knee? Value of the physical examination. JAMA 2001;286:1610-1620.
- Solomon DH, Stone PH, Glynn RJ, et al. Use of risk stratification to identify patients with unstable angina likeliest to benefit from an invasive versus conservative management strategy. J Amer Coll Cardiol 2001;38:969-976.
- Solomon DH, Van Houten L, Glynn RJ, et al. Academic detailing to improve use of broad-spectrum antibiotics at an academic medical center. Arch Intern Med 2001;161:1897-1902.