Brian T. Bateman, MD, MSc
Brigham & Women’s Hospital
Department of Medicine
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology & Pharmacoeconomics
1620 Tremont Street, Suite 3030,
Boston, MA 02120
Phone: 617-278-0930 | Fax: 617-232-8602
Brian T. Bateman, MD, MSc is an Assistant Professor of Anesthesia at Harvard Medical School and is a faculty member in the Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care, and Pain Medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital and in the Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital. His clinical practice is focused on obstetric anesthesia and anesthesia for general surgery.
His research interests focus on the epidemiology of pregnancy complications and on pharmacoepidemiology in pregnancy and in the perioperative period. He is funded by the NIH. He is an associate editor at Anesthesiology. He was recently appointed to the FDA Anesthetic and Analgesic Drug Products Advisory Committee.
He received his Bachelor’s degree from Yale College where he was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa and Doctor of Medicine from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons where he was inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha and was awarded the Janeway Prize for the highest academic achievement and abilities in the graduating class. He received a Masters of Science in Epidemiology from the Harvard School of Public Health. He completed an Internship in internal medicine at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital and a Residency and Chief Residency in Anesthesia, Critical Care, and Pain Medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital.
Selected Publications | Current PubMed Search Results
- Patorno E, Neumann MD, Schneeweiss S, Mogun H, Bateman BT. Comparative safety of anesthetic technique for hip fracture surgery in adults. BMJ. 2014 Jun 27;348:g4022.
- Mhyre JM, Tsen LC, Einav S, Leffert LR, Bateman BT. Cardiac Arrest During Hospitalization for Delivery in the United States, 1998-2008. Anesthesiology 2014 Apr;120(4):810-8
- Bateman BT, Hernandez-Diaz S, Rathmell J, Seeger JD, Doherty M, Fischer MA, Huybrechts KF. Patterns of Opioid Utilization in Pregnancy in a Large Cohort of Commercial Insurance Beneficiaries in the United States. Anesthesiology. 2014 Feb 12
- Bateman BT, Mhyre JM, Hernandez-Diaz S, Huybrechts KF, Fischer MA, Creanga AA, Callaghan WM, Gagne JJ. Development of a Comorbidity Index for Use in Obstetric Patients. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2013 Nov;122(5):957-65
- Mhyre JM, Shilkrut A, Kuklina EV Callaghan WM, Creanga AA, Kaminsky S, Bateman BT Massive Blood Transfusion during Hospitalization for Delivery in New York State, 1998-2007. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2013 Nov 6
- Bateman BT, Huybrechts K, Hernandez-Diaz S, Liu J, Ecker JL, Avorn J. Methylergonovine maleate and the Risk of Myocardial Ischemia and Infarction. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2013 Jul 11
- ObergAS, Hernandez-Diaz S, Palmsten K, Almqvist C, Bateman BT. Patterns of Recurrence of Postpartum Hemorrhage in the Swedish Population. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 26 October 2013.
- Bateman BT, Bykov K, Choudhry NK, Schneeweiss S, Gagne JJ, Polinski JM, Franklin JM, Doherty M, Fischer MA, Rassen JA. Type of stress ulcer prophylaxis and the risk of nosocomial pneumonia in cardiac surgical patients: a cohort study. BMJ. 2013 Sep 19;347:f5416
Bateman BT, Hernandez-Diaz S, Huybrechts K, Palmsten K, Mogun H, Ecker JL, Seely EW, Fischer MA. Outpatient Calcium Channel Blockers and the Risk of Postpartum Hemorrhage: A Cohort Study. BJOG. 2013 Sep 11.
- Bateman BT, Hernandez-Diaz S, Huybrechts K, Palmsten K, Mogun H, Ecker JL, Fischer MA. Patterns of Outpatient Antihypertensive Medication Use During Pregnancy. Hypertension. 2012 Oct;60(4):913-20.
- Wanderer, JP; Leffert LR; Mhyre JM, Kulkina, EV; Callaghan WM, Bateman, BT. Epidemiology of Obstetric-Related Intensive Care Unit Admissions in Maryland: 1999-2008. Crit Care Med. 2013 May 2.
- Bateman BT, Bansil P, Hernandez-Diaz S, Callaghan WM, Kuklina EV. The Prevalence, Trends, and Maternal and Fetal Outcomes of Chronic Hypertension in the US Nationwide Sample of Delivery Admissions. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology.2012 Feb;206(2):134.e1-8
- Bateman BT, Mhyre JM, Callaghan W, Kuklina EV. Peripartum Hysterectomy: 14-year nationwide experience. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2012;206:63 e1-8.
- Bateman BT, Olbrecht V, Schwamm L, Leffert LR. Peripartum Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: Nationwide Data and Institutional Experience. Anesthesiology 2012 Feb;116(2):324-33.
- Bateman BT, Berman MF, Riley LE, Leffert LR. The Epidemiology of Postpartum Hemorrhage in a Large, Nationwide Sample of Deliveries. Anesthesia and Analgesia. 2010 May 1;110(5):1368-73. Epub 2010 Mar 17.