Brian T. Bateman, MD, MSc
Brigham & Women’s Hospital
Department of Medicine
Division of Pharmacoepidemiology & Pharmacoeconomics
1620 Tremont Street, Suite 3030,
Boston, MA 02120
Phone: 617-278-0930 | Fax: 617-232-8602
Brian T. Bateman, MD, MSc is an Assistant Professor of Anesthesia at Harvard Medical School and is a faculty member in the Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care, and Pain Medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital and in the Division of Pharmacoepidemiology and Pharmacoeconomics at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital. His clinical practice is focused on obstetric anesthesia and anesthesia for general surgery.
His research interests focus on the epidemiology of pregnancy complications and on pharmacoepidemiology in pregnancy and in the perioperative period. He is funded by the NIH. He is an associate editor at Anesthesiology. He is a standing member of the FDA Anesthetic and Analgesic Drug Products Advisory Committee.
He received his Bachelor’s degree from Yale College where he was inducted into Phi Beta Kappa and Doctor of Medicine from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons where he was inducted into Alpha Omega Alpha and was awarded the Janeway Prize for the highest academic achievement and abilities in the graduating class. He received a Masters of Science in Epidemiology from the Harvard School of Public Health. He completed an Internship in internal medicine at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital and a Residency and Chief Residency in Anesthesia, Critical Care, and Pain Medicine at the Massachusetts General Hospital.
Selected Publications | Current PubMed Search Results
- Bateman BT, Hernandez-Diaz S, Fischer MA, Seely EW, Ecker JL, Franklin JM, Desai RJ, Allen-Coleman C, Mogun H, Avorn J, Huybrechts KF. Statins and Congenital Malformations: A Cohort Study. BMJ. 2015 Mar 17;350:h1035
- Huybrechts KF, Bateman BT, Palmsten K, Patorno E, Desai R, Levin R, Mogun H, Hernandez-Diaz S. Antidepressant Use Late in Pregnancy and Risk of Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension of the Newborn. JAMA 2015 Jun 2;313(21):2142-51
- Desai RJ, Huybrechts KF, Hernandez-Diaz S, Mogun H, Patorno E, Kaltenbach K, Kerzner LS, Bateman BT Exposure to prescription opioid analgesics in-utero and the risk of neonatal abstinence syndrome: A population-based cohort study. BMJ 2015 May 14;350:h2102
- Bateman BT, Huybrechts KF, Fischer MA, Seely EW, Ecker JL, Oberg AS, Franklin JM, Mogun H, Hernandez-Diaz S.. Chronic Hypertension in Pregnancy and the Risk of Congenital Malformations: A Cohort Study. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015 Mar;212(3):337.e1-14.
- Patorno E, Neumann MD, Schneeweiss S, Mogun H, Bateman BT. Comparative safety of anesthetic technique for hip fracture surgery in adults. BMJ. 2014 Jun 27;348:g4022.
- Oberg AS, Hernandéz-Diaź S, Frisell T, Greene MF, Almqvist C, Bateman BT. Genetic contribution to postpartum haemorrhage in Swedish population: cohort study of 466 686 births. BMJ. 2014 Aug 13;349:g4984
- Mhyre JM, Tsen LC, Einav S, Leffert LR, Bateman BT. Cardiac Arrest During Hospitalization for Delivery in the United States, 1998-2008. Anesthesiology 2014 Apr;120(4):810-8.
- Bateman BT, Hernandez-Diaz S, Rathmell J, Seeger JD, Doherty M, Fischer MA, Huybrechts KF. Patterns of Opioid Utilization in Pregnancy in a Large Cohort of Commercial Insurance Beneficiaries in the United States. Anesthesiology. 2014 Feb 12
- Bateman BT, Mhyre JM, Hernandez-Diaz S, Huybrechts KF, Fischer MA, Creanga AA, Callaghan WM, Gagne JJ. Development of a Comorbidity Index for Use in Obstetric Patients. Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2013 Nov;122(5):957-65
- Bateman BT, Huybrechts K, Hernandez-Diaz S, Liu J, Ecker JL, Avorn J. Methylergonovine maleate and the Risk of Myocardial Ischemia and Infarction. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology. 2013 Jul 11
- Bateman BT, Bykov K, Choudhry NK, Schneeweiss S, Gagne JJ, Polinski JM, Franklin JM, Doherty M, Fischer MA, Rassen JA. Type of stress ulcer prophylaxis and the risk of nosocomial pneumonia in cardiac surgical patients: a cohort study. BMJ. 2013 Sep 19;347:f5416